Indicate open folders in W95 File ExplorerHave you ever wanted a clue in which folder you are when viewing files in Win95 File Explorer?
I have a 21 inch screen, and File Explorer can show about 50 lines. Although I have activated "display the full MS-DOS path in the title bar" in menu View > Options..., I wanted to see the open folder in the left pane.
The following steps describe the procedure to change an icon in the system DLL's which contain the icons for the File Explorer dialogs:
- Make two copies of
\System\), to a safe place (I have a special directory for such cases:
- Rename one of the copies to
- Take an icon editor, such as MicroAngelo by Impact Software, and edit icon number 5 (for example, make the open-folder icon red). Be aware to edit all forms of the icons. There are large and small icons in the DLL file!
- If you have MS !Plus installed, do the same with file
cool.dlland the open-folder icon there (it's number 19).
- Quit Windows 95 and restart to DOS.
- Delete the original
cool.dll) in WinDir
- Copy the modified version
cool.dll.mod) form the safe place to the WinDir
- Rename the two files to
Winto start Windows 95 and look at your work.
If you trust me, you can download the already modified files:
shell32dll.zip (344 kB)
cooldll.zip (59 kB)